From:   Thomas B. Underhill [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Monday, May 25, 1998 3:14 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        problems with configuring my xserver on rh5

Hi-

I have been putting up with 640x480 8bpp resolution in Redhat 5 for a couple months
now.  No matter what I try to change it to in Xconfigurator, I can't get X to open if
I set it to anything other than 640x480 8bpp.  I have a 4mb Trident TG9660 Vid Card
and a 17" Sony Trinitron Monitor which is branded under the Sun name.  In Windoze95 it
automatically configures my system with a 17SF sony monitor and trident tg9660 vid
card.  In windoze, I can also use resolutions up to 1024x768 at 32bpp.  The redhat
xconfigurator probes my video card and determines the model with no problems and then
when it probes the card for its memory and chipset it provides me of a default setting
which is: 1024x768 32bpp...the problem is this never works and i end up having to
reconfigure my x by not probing the vid card and choosing the 640x480 8bpp option.  I
know that the monitor is capable of 1024x768 as it was used on SPARC5's and 20's at my
old job and worked fine at high resolution.  It also works fine in windoze.  I've read

he manual for the monitor and tried configuring the settings manually using the
refresh rates, but the only resolution that works is 640x480.  When I try starting X
after configuring it at high resolution and high color mode, one of the following
happens: my screen goes blank and nothing happens, or the screen appears but shakes
badly where i can't read anything, the screen flashes a couple times and then it goes
into power save mode, or the x server crashes with varying error messages.  I just
don't know what I need to edit in the config file by hand to get it working.

Any help or suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks!
Thomas

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
http://www.eudoramail.com