Hello, I'm brand stinkin new to this list, and couldn't really find much on
the linux faq to explain what is happening to my redhat 5 install.  I'm not
a linux pro, but i'm not too shabby(kinda new to all this)

here's the machine:
dual ppro 200
512 ram
18 gig drive space

This server's main and ONLY function is http functions.  I recently
installed frontpage extensions(yuk) sucessfully.

I rebooted the server this morning.  upon mounting and checking
filesystems,  I started bringing errors like:

"forced mount on filesystem"   <--  this isn't exact wording

Booting took a very long time to complete, hard drive light was partially
on most of the time while this "forcing" occured.

Problem is this:  once booted, everything works normal, except this time
when i ran "top" and checked memory usage, it showed that i had used 507
out of my 512 total ram!  hmmmm   Why?  normally, it only uses 15 meg to
boot, and jumps to 32 when xwindows is loaded.  From there it normally
caches stuff into ram as needed, after a week or so, it only utilizes 190 meg.

is this normal?  why the problem mounting my filesystems?  I wasn't the
person who did the setup on this machine, i just administer it.

-Matt Teagarden
Cobweb Internet Services