Hi,

When I dial into my isp using ppp I can then login to a telnet session,
type "who", and see the IP address of my machine.  I try telnetting from
the isp's host back to my machine, and guess what... it works.  Also,
when I am on my machine, I type "ps aux" and see "sendmail: accepting
connections on port 25".

Now, all this just seems too dangerous to me.  Sendmail and ftp are
notorious for having security problems, as are numerous other programs.
And the very fact that my machine permits telnetting inwards worries me.

Can anyone suggest measures that I should take to improve the security
and reduce the vulnerability of my machine when I'm logged into my isp?
Is it possible to hide the IP address?

Regards,
David (worried) Taylor.