David Taylor wrote:

> Can anyone suggest measures that I should take to improve the security
> and reduce the vulnerability of my machine when I'm logged into my isp?
> Is it possible to hide the IP address?

1. Comment out unwanted services in /etc/inetd.conf

2. Run "setup", select "ntsysv", and shut off sendmail.

3. Get an old 486 and set it up to do IP masquerading, use _that_
   to connect to your ISP, then put your other box on the other
   side of it with some cheap ethernet cards.  You'll need to
   learn a bit about IPMasq, and pick a private subnet (see below).
   It might be a few days work, but no one will be able to directly
   connect to your "firewalled" machine, unless they first break
   into your gateway (which will be difficult if you turn off telnet
   and rlogin on that machine).

   (Read this RFC:
    http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1918.txt)

Good luck,