Can anyone else confirm this rather weird behavior? :

I'm running stock RedHat 5.0 with the emacs that comes
along with it,

(version)
"GNU Emacs 20.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux, X toolkit)
 of Fri Nov  7 1997 on porky.redhat.com"

Emacs works fine, but when I do "ESC x set-default-font"
and type "6x9" for example, the window frame changes
size instantly, but it takes about 6 seconds for the
window contents to udpate.  Subsequent set-default-font
commands (to other fonts) update instantly; its only
the first time after starting emacs that the delay happens.

[ I know about "-font" and .Xdefaults, but I need to
  change font at runtime. ]

I asked on gnu.emacs.bug, and the consensus was that it
was an X issue, maybe the server or the libraries.

I'd like to know if other RH 5.0 (and even RH 5.1) users
experience the same problem.  This is something I'd like
to help get fixed if possible.

-Jamie

p.s.

Running under gdb, I interrupted emacs during the
6 second pause and did a backtrace, and it looked like
it was waiting in a select() call inside the X libraries:

0x40232a6e in __select ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40232a6e in __select ()
#1  0x400ab688 in __DTOR_END__ ()
#2  0x40089804 in _XtWafitForSomething ()
#3  0x40094aa8 in _wait_for_response ()
#4  0x40094d65 in RootGeometryManager ()
#5  0x40083070 in _XtMakeGeometryRequest ()
#6  0x4008332c in XtMakeGeometryRequest ()
#7  0x40035d1b in GeometryManager ()
#8  0x40083070 in _XtMakeGeometryRequest ()
#9  0x4008332c in XtMakeGeometryRequest ()
#10 0x40020a69 in AdjustPanedSize ()
#11 0x40022031 in GeometryManager ()
#12 0x40083070 in _XtMakeGeometryRequest ()
#13 0x40092baf in XtSetValues ()
#14 0x8105fd3 in tparam ()
#15 0x807fa6a in _start ()
#...