Jamie Guinan wrote:

> Emacs works fine, but when I do "ESC x set-default-font"
> and type "6x9" for example, the window frame changes
> size instantly, but it takes about 6 seconds for the
> window contents to udpate.  Subsequent set-default-font
> commands (to other fonts) update instantly; its only
> the first time after starting emacs that the delay happens.

I figured this out, finally.  It turns out to be a problem
with fvwm2.  I tried a number of other window managers
(fvwm, olvwn, E), and the "pause" symptom simply doesn't
happen there.  Go figure.  Anyway, I'll dig into the fvwm2
sources and see if I can't figure out what the problem is.

-Jamie

p.s.  Thanks for having a go at it, Paul.