On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, David Pellegrino wrote:

> The directory make zImage puts the file is /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
> and I copied it to /boot.  I saved the original lilo.conf as lilo.old and
> adjusted the lilo.conf to call the zImage instead of
> vmlinuz2.0.something-something. And rebooted, even after I made these
> changes in the lilo it still booted to the old kernel.  As for the
> /sbin/lilo, it did not play with that.  I hadn't even seen it mentioned.
>
> David

<snip>

Ahah.  It didn't play with /sbin/lilo.  Did you?  You need to run lilo
after editing lilo.conf, and before rebooting.

If your lilo.conf has something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.31.img
        read-only

add another similar stanza (but make it the first stanza, or add
"default=your.label.here" to the top of lilo.conf):

image=/boot/zImage
        label=mynewkernel
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.31.img
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda1
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.31.img
        read-only

Like so.  This way, you can still boot to the old kernel if you need
to, but the new one will be the default.  After you're sure everything
works, you can delete the reference to the old kernel.

Now run lilo:

# /sbin/lilo

*Adding mynewkernel
*Adding linux