I missed the first part of this so if its off topic sorry.

I had the same problem.  There seems to be an undocumented feature when
adding users in RH 5.0.  The password file does not get an encrypted
password.  Thus when you login and the unencrypted password is unencrypted
you get an error that the login is invalid.  I was creating the users from
the control pannel inside Xfree86.  I found that if you create the user
with no password and then from the command line type passwd "username" sans
the "" and give it a password things worked fine.

Scott