On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Clemens Adler wrote:

> dear Steve,
> I don't know about your usercfg-problem maybe you try to remove and
> install it again, I guess this won't help but it will tell you that you
> might have to install the tkinter or tk package which should have happend
> when you did an install with glint ( well maybe not), actually fisrt rpm
> -q tkinter.

Yeah, you're correct for usercfg.  I upgraded tkinter and it worked fine.
But I'm still having problems with glint, but I'm not too concerned with
that right now.

> Then about the message below:
> You probably setup the users by editing the passwd-file, what?

Actually, I setup the users using usercfg before it stopped working on me.
I chose the password option as "No Password" but I had filled everything
else in with usercfg, such as, the username, the shell, the full name, UID
etc...then, I manually had set the passwords of the users with the "passwd
<users>" command.

> If this is the case PAM doesn't know anything about them and PAM is
> controlling xdm-acess, just change the password of those users with passwd
> then PAM will know about those users ( by the way, usercfg won't start
> either when you edited the passwd file by hand, but I believe you would
> get other messages than you did),
> or use useradd for makeing new users
> hope that helps,
> Clemens

I never touched the passwd file at all.  The problem I have understanding
is, I was able to login as one of the users just fine before all this
happened.  It's not like I'm attempting this for the first time and it's
not working for me.

What I have noticed is that the system will accept the login name and the
password and will just for an instant log me in, displaying when I had
last logged in and all, then it spits me right back out.  I checked
various files already (I went to #linux on irc) and it's still not working
for me.

So, as a last minute measure, I also had completely deleted all the
non-root users I hacreated and added them again once I got usercfg to work
again (after I had upgraded tkinter), but that's still a no go.  This is
driving me mad!!

Any sys admin gurus out there?  I sifted thru my books and I can't find
anything about this problem.  Don't tell me I have to reinstall Linux...I
thought you only did that with windoze95.  Thank you in advance!

Always with Best,

Steve