On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:
[...]
>Configure ppp0 thru the netcfg utility to be user controllable, then do,
>as root, 'chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/pppd' and you should be able to start
>and stop the server as a normal user using:
>
>        # /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup ifcfg-ppp0
>
>and
>
>        # /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown ifcfg-ppp0

I didn't have to chmod pppd, but I did have to check the "allow user to
control interface" (or something similar) box in netcfg.  Also, if /sbin
is in the default user command path, the user can just type:

    ifup ppp0

and:

    ifdown ppp0

Of, using X windows, the user can invoke Start -> Programs -> Networking
-> Usernet (or just issue the "usernet" command) to control the link.

--
    Steve Coile