"plaven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> When I installed RH5 for the first time, and this is the first time I have
> used Linux, I didn't install any of the C development stuff, a mistake I
> know.
>
> Since I'm learning my way round Linux I have been wanting to do _something_
> so I figured that I'd follow the instructions on compiling a new kernel
> taken from the installation manual.  Trying to run make config bought to
> light my earlier mistake, make doesn't exist.
>
> What I want to know now is, what do I install, I can't see any source code
> for Linux either, so I guess I'm going to have to install that too?
>
> Since I have other problems, problems that could be resolved by
> re-installing only to get the text based menu back, would that be the
> better option for now?  TIA.

Normally with Linux you don't re-install but as you might have
problems caused by missing packages and you are a new user, I'd say go
ahead and do it and this time choose "Everything".

When you are given the option menu for the Daemons to start at boot up
make sure that "gated" is _not_ selected.

Once you've finished you should visit the Red Hat site and install the
updates that _aren't_ already on your system.

--
Eze Ogwuma