On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Dustin Tennill wrote:

> Heath Doane wrote:
>
> > Greetings All,
> >
> >         I am getting a little cramped for space, and I was thinking of moving
> > my /usr to a new drive.  What I had in mind was mounting the new drive
> > as a temp. directory on the root, copying the /usr structure over to the
> > new drive, renaming the /usr to something (like /usr-old) just as a CYA
> > thing.. then mounting the new drive as /usr.  Seems straightfoward
> > enough, but this is a production system, so I want to make sure that
> > there's no hidden traps.  So, are there any hidden traps? :)
> >
> >         Thanks
> >
> >         Heath Doane
>
> Heath,    I did the same thing (same steps and all). Make sure to use the -p
> flag with cp so all your permisions aren't lost in the copy. That was my blunder
> and I spent a day or so figuring out what I messed up.

As root use cp -a. That way as much as possible of the file structure gets
preserved. see the man pg for more info.

I have done the above by mounting the new disk on /home2 then doing cp -a from
/usr to /home2. After the copy is done mount the new disk as /usr.
test it for awhile to make sure everything is ok. Once you are satisfied
everything is ok put the machine in single usr mode umount the new
/usr and rm the old /usr to recover the disk space. remount the new /usr
have done this several times.

YMMV.

......Tom                       "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

         Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.