> I am using a compaq 200 MMX with 3.5 gb IDE Hdd . I want to install Red
> hat Linux 4.2 along side with WIN 95 on it . Had it been a smaller hard
> drive like a one of 850 MB , I would have have patitioned it into C: D:
> with dos FDISK assigning 425/425 mb for each i.e. make hda1 and hda2
> .THe c: or hda1 for WIN 95 , HDA2 for linux . It does work fine .
> BUt now since my hdd is a large one i.e. 3.5 gb , How should I partition
> it ? WHich software should I use to partition it , dos fdisk or linux
> one ? WHich major partitions do I make and how to make it ?WHere to
> install linux root ? would it be possible to boot if I install it in a
> partition that starts from 2.5 gb to 3.5 gb .

First make sure your video card is supported by XFree86.  I've seen some
Compaqs that had Neomagic video cards requiring a proprietary X server you
can get from Xi graphics for about $100-$200 depending on who sells it to
you.  To see if your card is supported, try reading

http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/index.html

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to buy an X
server (from Xi Graphics probably), a couple of places to look are

http://www.xig.com
http://www.linuxmall.com/sofs.html

As for your partitions, there are important questions you should answer
before anybody can give you specific advice:  is Windows 95 already
installed, can you re-install (e.g. from a CD) if necessary, and if so, do
you want to?  Or are you starting fresh with a completely blank drive?