"Casey Bralla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:17:10 +1000 (EST), Db wrote:
>
> >I read somewhere, that the linux
> >kernel was largely BIOS independent, wherein all the system really need to
> >know, was where that crucial bootsector of your harddrive was.
>
> I believe this is true of any "protected mode" operating systems.
> OS/2 executes this way, and some parts of Win 3.11, and most of Win
> 95 (I think).  I believe this is why "drivers" are so important to
> these operating systems (as compared to DOS), since they need to
> replace functions which previously had been embedded in ROM in the
> driver, since real mode BIOS calls are not (easily) made from
> protected mode.
>
> You are right about Linux only using the BIOS to boot.  That is why
> the disk size limit (1024 cylinders) only applies during boot, since
> it is a BIOS limitation and is circumvented after Linux switches to
> protected mode.

Hm thats strange. Earlier today i opened up my computer to remove some
dust and stuff. When I reassembled the box, I conneted the wrong serial
port to the wrong connector on the Mother board, leaving me with the
mouse where the modem should be and vice versa. This was solved by
swapping the serial ports in the bios. Now both the mouse and the
modem are working correctly under Linux, but not under Win95 (which
keep complaining that the modem is in use).

I am no hardware wizard, but doesnt this suggest that linux is using
the bios for more than the boot process?

Kjetil
--
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for public PGP key.