the hardware will be the fifo buffers on winmodems and both fifo and data
pumps on hsp ( host signal processing ) modems such as zoltrix winhsp and
any other pc-tel chip based ones ...

A single unique choice you cant go wrong with is a usr sportster fax
external (33.6)
 i heard of various stories on x2/v90 ones ...

also fact is any external modem must have a fifo and a data pump since it
cannot be emulated on the host cpu throug the com port and fifo buffers on
your com port, therefore getting an external modem is pretty safe choice ...

( i know i know ...it is more cabling boxes wires and all that in the house)

At 12:17 AM 4/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD wrote:
>>
>> Looking for a modem...  Reading the modem HOWTO it says that modems that
require software to run will
>> not work with Linux..  Is this referring to modems such as the USR
Winmodems?   Or modems that say,
>> "designed for Windows95"   What modems should I stay away from..?
>>
>> Mike
>
>Yes, stay away from anything that says it was designed for Win95.  This
>usually implies it is PnP and most likely difficult (if not impossible)
>to get running under Linux.  Modems designed for Win95 have certain
>hardware removed (can't remember what) which is 'emulated' by software
>in Windows.
>
>Basically, any hardware which has jumpers and any modems which are not
>'designed for Windows 95' are good. Hope this helps - Finals are really
>starting to get to me!
>
>Later.
>
>--
>Jeff Ivany   [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Now running
> UNB Electrical Engineering IV         RedHat Linux 5.0
> (Computer Engineering Option)       with a 2.0.33 kernel
>      ivany.home.ml.org         Welcome to the GNU generation!
>

>--

Todosic Andrej                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Analyst                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Operations
Mpact Immedia Inc.

    "Out the 10Base-2, through the router, over the leased line,
 off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but net" -Gary Predmore