Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD wrote:

> Looking for a modem...  Reading the modem HOWTO it says that modems that require
>software to run will
> not work with Linux..  Is this referring to modems such as the USR Winmodems?   Or
>modems that say,
> "designed for Windows95"   What modems should I stay away from..?
>
> Mike

Yes, stay away from anything that says it was designed for Win95.  This
usually implies it is PnP and most likely difficult (if not impossible)
to get running under Linux.  Modems designed for Win95 have certain
hardware removed (can't remember what) which is 'emulated' by software
in Windows.

Basically, any hardware which has jumpers and any modems which are not
'designed for Windows 95' are good. Hope this helps - Finals are really
starting to get to me!

Later.

--
Jeff Ivany   [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Now running
 UNB Electrical Engineering IV         RedHat Linux 5.0