> >No, this is not good advise.  We need to produce commodity software here.
> >People can't possibly be expected to recompile their kernel every time.
> >Unless there is a specific need, it should not be necessary.  Wait for the
> >next vendor release.  It won't make your system faster, use less memory,
> >etc..
>
> I'm sorry but I disagree with you on this.
> Most of the hardware out there is not inherently supported -out of the box-
> and needs a kernel compiled in order to use it. Or to use it properly.
> Modules can sometimes fail on some devices, to detect where it's resources
> really are. Try using a module on an ISA Ne2000 card and you'll see what I
> mean.

Ok, obviously for situations where there isn't currently support in an
existing kernel, it is necessary to recompile.

Incidentally, there is no problem with using a module on an ISA NE2k card
-out of the box-, given you know the correct parameters to supply the
module.  Additionally, practically all the hardware is supported
out of the box, as modules.

> >Especially for a new user.  Nothing is more of a turn-off than to be
> >forced into doing what will amount to hours of work just to get something
> >simple done, and unecessarily.  Additionally, the user will only come back
> >here when he follows your directions, and something goes wrong.
>
> Again I disagree. Unless you can tell me howto setup ip masquerading
> without recompiling a kernel?

Again, if its necessary to provide support, then that's fine.

Dave