On Tue, 5 May 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:

> > ppa: Probing port 0278
> > scsi : 0 hosts.
> > ./ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> Try 'fuser -v /dev/lp[01]' and see what it reports.  Apparently there is
> something already using your printer port, and you must disable that
> first.  Otherwise, /var/log/dmesg (or the 'dmesg' command) should contain
> a reference to your drive.

  fuser -v /dev/lp0 or lp1 doesn't report anything which means that nobody
uses that device.

> The command `lsmod' will show you the modules that are currently loaded.
> It should show the ppa.o module is currently loaded, and I think lp.o must
> not be loaded, although its been a while since I've set this up..

lp.o is never loaded as a module.  In fact, when IOMEGA Parallelo Port
ZIP drive SCSI driver is compiled as a module, I have to load first
/lib/modules/2.0.33/scsi/scsi_mod.o (from the SCSI-HOWTO), because if
don't I get this error messages:

/lib/modules/2.0.33/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
scsi_unregister_module_Rd913b8f0
/lib/modules/2.0.33/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
scsi_register_module_R8eff1010
/lib/modules/2.0.33/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol scsi_register_Ref7ceea8

Compiling the driver in the kernel, avoids loading of scsi_mod.o and you
can directly load ppa.o.

> Additionally, do you have the following:
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ppa
>
> in your /etc/conf.modules?  You should also have scsi disk, scsi generic,
> scsi emulation either as modules or compiled into the kernel.

Yes, I turned them on and I've also tried adding the above alias to
conf.modules and still the "busy" message is reported.