> On Sun, 10 May 1998, Marco Shaw wrote:
>
> > Just a general question about PnP modems...Are they very hard
> to configure?
>
> Yes.  Get a non-PnP modem if possible.

Not really.  All you have to do is figure out what IRQ the modem is using
(most PnP modems default to standard COM port addresses, but use
non-standard IRQ's), set the IRQ using setserial, and you are done.  To
figure out what IRQ it is using, you can test the possible IRQ's (those
which aren't in use by other hardware) using setserial and minicom.  That is
what I did on mine.

> Even worse are WinModems, these will never ever work and you have zero
> likelihood of making it work.

I wouldn't say never.  It is technically possible to make it work (provided
someone out there is willing to write the driver for it), but it isn't very
likely.

> A PnP modem can be made to work, but it is a hassle.  Of course, if your
> PnP modem has jumpers or switches to turn PnP mode off, then it works
> normally as a regular non-PnP modem and you're in luck.

// Chris Giard (a.k.a. Slyglif Cain)       | I find my life is a lot
// EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | easier the lower I keep
// ICQ:   4481627                          |   --Calvin 1992