Jeremy Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [Well folks, I smell troll, but maybe not....]

     Hmm, I was a bit grumpy this morning when i posted about unsupported
hardware....I guess it showed through.  Never post before drinking a cup of
coffee....  Sorry about that.

     I didn't post specific hardware problems because I have gotten some
advice on other threads that I have not had time to try out yet (and that
may solve my problems with installing Xwindows on some old compaqs).  What
I meant to point out is that only a small subset of hardware is officially
supported by one of the major Linux distributions and that installation is
"easy" only if you can choose items from the supported components.  I
totally agree that this is the hardware vendors fault and that the linux
community is very helpful to people trying to work around this.  As more
and more machines run Linux, hardware vendors may do better.

     Since you offered help with new hardware, I'll be specific.  My
husband likes to configure new machines very "hot".  He is totally enamored
with the ASUS-P2B-LS.  This board, and every other board he really likes,
uses Adeptec scsi chips on the motherboard.  From reading the newsgroups,
I've gathered that Adaptec is not very helpful to Linux users--but that
most of their boards/chipsets do (eventually) work with Linux.  If you go
to scsi off the motherboard, the combined price of scsi card plus
motherboard goes way up (perhaps $200).   This is just one example.  You
run into the same type of problem with new video cards and other
components.    While I've found a number of web sites that do a great job
of testing out new hardware, I have not found any that consider the
operating system as one thing to check for compatability.  Does anyone know
any site that does?  Or that keeps lists of compatible hardware that Linux
has run on?  (by this, I mean more than the lists of supported hardware
that Red Hat, slackware, etc. list).