Here in alt.os.linux, Benjamin Protas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>Or buy Adaptec, as I did, only to find out that it is so high quality
>that they don't feel the need to tell anybody how to write drivers for
>it, so Linux supports half of Adaptec's stuff, and the other half is
>hit and miss.  Or buy Matrox, and run into the same problem.

Once you identify an Adaptec controller model and BIOS level that works
under Linux, you will have no problems.  I've used a 1542, 2940U, and
2940UW under multiple Linux flavors w/o problems.

I have two Matrox Milleniums (first model, not Mill II's) here.  I'm
not aware of any problems with those cards.  Forgive me for not citing
specific models and BIOS revs -- I was generalizing...

--
  -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!