Okay, I'm dumb. This is quite perturbing to me and I can't for the
life of my figure out what the problem is. ANY assistance would be
GREATLY appreciated.
        Help me, Spock!

WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO:

        Install ftape on a server (a P100) I inherited from a predecessor
who at one time had ftape working, installed a SCSI tape drive and got it
happy, and is now gone. I'd now like to get a Conner TR-3 tape drive
working along with this SCSI DAT drive so that the TR-3 can do my
incrementals and the DAT can do my full backups.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL FTAPE:

        I'm pretty much leaving MCONFIG alone except for telling it I have
a 586. I'm logged in as root, and I've got ftape-3.04d.tar in /usr/src -
it untarred into the subdirectory /usr/src/ftape-3.04d without a hitch.
        I type "make" - no problems.
        I type "make install" and BOOM:

/sbin/depmod -a
get_kernel_sys failed: Cannot find Kernel symbols!
make: *** [install] Error 2

        Wha happened?
        My predecessor *did* leave a lot of the old kernels laying around
(I'm doing this in 2.0.30) but I can't understand what the problem is.
        Quite frustrating since I got this working on another machine
without a problem.
        I've scoured the HOWTO's and README's and the only relevant thing
I can find is Claus Heine's suggestion to run:

 modprobe zftape

        and when I do I get this:

[root@brandybuck ftape-3.04d]#  modprobe zftape
get_kernel_sys failed: Cannot find Kernel symbols!

        Which is kinda like the problem I'm having. He says in the
Ftape-FAQ that if this happens that "something is wrong".
        Oh, boy.
        Thanks in advance mucho for ANY guidance!

Brett Charbeneau, Network Administrator         Tel: 757-259-7750
Williamsburg Regional Library                   FAX: 757-259-7798
7770 Croaker Road                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Williamsburg, VA 23188-7003                     http://www.wrl.org