> In my understanding, the kernel size is limited by the size of the
> master-boot-record,

        [PT]  Nope.  It is due to the size of the Intel processor's
        real mode versus its protected mode.  All PC clones
        still boot into real mode (640KB) because the BIOS
        is still only written to run that way.  So the kernel must
        initially fit into the 640KB of memory and then the
        processor can be switched into protected mode to
        unpack the kernel and start executing.  Read the LILO
        and booting HOWTOs.  Other computers like Sun
        and Alpha don't have this silly restriction.