>    This is my first foray into the world of Linux kernel building.   I have
> built kernels
> for other commercial unix systems, without any real problems.    I noticed
> that
> I built a kernel that was too big.   I think it was 1.2 meg.     Why is this
> too big?

Well, the build process builds two copies of the kernel, if you invoke it
via 'make zImage' or 'make bzImage'. More likely, you were taking the
'vmlinux' file and using that for the kernel, which is the wrong thing
to do. Linux kernels expect to be compressed and automatically deflate on
boot.

The compressed kernel lives (on Intel architectures) in
/usr/src/linux/i386/arch/boot. Don't use the file in /usr/src/linux.

> 24 meg.?   Which processor choice  386 or Pentium ?   What if I NEEDED more
> options like SCSI ?

Choose the processor option that best describes your hardware - if you
have a Pentium, select Pentium.

Ultimately, if you have to build a lot of drivers into your kernel, and
especially with later (2.1.x) kernels, you'll end up having to make a
'big' zImage (make bZimage) but it works otherwise just the same.