>Right now I'm enterested in the Matrox Millenium II 4MB card.
>
>Is anyone getting trouble with the millenium card and MetroX server.
>
>Hey I only $175  to spend.
>
>Thanks Everyone
>Chris

Well, my recommendation would be to stick with XFree86 on the Millennium.
On my Millennium (I, at least, maybe it's different with the II) I've
discovered that XF86 significantly outperforms MetroX. Although
Xconfigurator doesn't know how to do 1152 x 864 like MetroX does, so you
have to put in the modelines manually. And MetroX supports multiple
displays for the Milleniums (Millenia?).

In addition to having a somewhat slow redraw, MetroX was also giving me a
problem when switching to a virtual console, then back again. Switching to
XF86 eliminated this.

If you really want a good commercial X server, get Accelerated X. Although
since you're on a budget, this is probably out of the question. But really,
the only advantage I can see to using MetroX over XFree86 is that MetroX is
considerably easier to set up, and supports a few cards that XF86 doesn't.
I'm fairly impressed with how good the XF86 Millenium server is, since it's
relatively young.

Larry Lade - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6686
PGP Public Key:
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/6686/pubkey.txt