If you just want DNS lookup service, and any name server should work. AFAIK,
there is no constraint / security control on who can use your name server. So,
basically, you can point your name server searching to some other ISP's name
servers, so, for example, you can :

>nslookup
>server ns.nasa.gov
>www.aol.com

and you can get your result.

Regards,
Raymond.

>>> Mailbox for Vivaldi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/12 12:38 am >>>

Hello--

Since AOL's servers crashed a few nights ago, we have been unable -
anywhere on our network - to access any host inside aol.com.  I believe
they majorly changed the IP addresses of previously well known hosts.

An nslookup on anyactualhost.aol.com just hangs.  We've several ISP
accounts, however, and an nslookup on the same thing resolves just
fine on these systems.  Tried rebooting to reload the cache, but
no go.

We are running RH 4.2 with Bind 4.9.6.1....we are authoritative for
our local domain...

Are there any commands to force bind to get the new records?  Or to force
our system to dump any/all cached data on aol.com?  We can't seem to
figure that out...and our users cannot send mail or access anything at AOL
in the meantime (2 1/2 days now...)

Any/All help greatly appreciated.

William Vadnais