On 12-Mar-98 Matt Woodbridge wrote:
> As yet, the GIMP can never be a full replacement of Adobe Photoshop.  In
> comparison, the GIMP is slow, handles memory poorly,

I disagree... I don't think it renders any slower (or faster) than any other
image tool I've used (i.e. Mo' RAM, mo' processor... mo' fun!).

> is full of bugs and isn't even out of development stages yet.

I know this... we all know this... is there a reason for saying it?

>It also lacks a tremendous number of features that are employed every day
>by Photoshop users.  The GIMP does, however, show a lot of potential to be
>far greater than it currently is.  In addition, I was greatly disappointed
>when after version 0.54 the GIMP no longer used the Motif GUI toolkit (it
>_is_ the UNIX standard).

I agree!

>It is foolish to say that just because the GIMP exists and is free and Linux
>too, is free, that Linux comes out on top.

You are putting words in my mouth.  I didn't say that.  I said it *rocks* which
equates to useful and fun as far as I'm concerned!

> And finally, there is no version of Adobe Photoshop for Linux.

I hope there never is!  I *think* (read- opinion only) it's a memory/wallet
hogging beast and I doubt I'd ever need it!  3d Studio Max, on the other hand...

> The Application is only available for Windows, Mac OS, SPARC Solaris and
> Irix.  If you would like this to change, email Adobe.  You have to
> actually be willing to _pay_ for the software, though.

That's it... you have now pissed me off.  If you reply to this do it "off_list"
because I won't burden the list with a pissing contest!

I'm not going to getinto a "you show me yours and I'll show you mine" contest
but I'll tell you that I spent almost 40K last year on incorporation and
equipment/software purchases (I know this figure very well as I'm finishing
corporate taxes this week and it's burned into my memory!) and I've budgeted a
like amount this year!  You are being willfully snide here and the implication
is that everybody on this list must be some kind of "hacker/punk" that doesn't
ever buy anything other than the bandwidth required to access their favorite
Warez ftp hole!

If that isn't what you meant that's fine, say so, but that's certainly what it
sounds like!

>> Between The GIMP and POVray (using the xfpovray GUI interface of course)
>> Linux *rocks* graphic design!

Chuck Mead, CEO
Moongroup Consulting, Inc.
http://www.moongroup.com