David S. Jackson wrote:
[...]
> contraction.  people get thrown by the apostrophe.  however, we're
> adopting a normative level of usage here on the list, I would say,
> rather than a traditionally conservative one.  i'd say the English
[...]

Normative usage?  Good idea.  A stroll through my local market
recently convinced me that normative usage now regards "'s" as
a marker for plural nouns (apple's, banana's etc).  I shall
therefore henceforth be using "it's" where I would hitherto have
used "they" or "them".

[I suggested this to the people in my office, but it's didn't
think it's a good idea.  Tough - it's it's that'll have the
problem when it's don't undertand I.]
                                  ^(I can do that -
                                     it be my native dialect).

Jon Moore.