We are currently running 5 servers that are RH4.2/2.0.33 and 1 server that is
FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE, and what I am interested in is if anyone has built a
kernel that can handle alot of file descriptors (is this dynamic in 2.0.33,
like it is in FreeBSD 2.2.5?) and process the listen() backlog faster.  I don't
know if it is possible or not, but basically alot of our connections end up
being backlogged due to the fact that the server is hit so frequently with
requests, basically ending up with "port clogging".  I know that the backlog
is only processed x in queue per second (which I don't know what x is), but
it is apparent to me and my users that it is in excess as the server "connects"
but takes a while to respond, meanwhile there is no significant load on the
machine, here is my requests:

1. kernel that can exceed 256 file descriptors (is it dynamic, or do you tweak
   the kernel?)
2. kernel that can process listen() backlog faster (not even sure if this is
   possible), or an alternate solution?

We are running Apache, and 2.0.33 kernel.  I will even consider opinions on
other platforms.

TIA
--
 -- Chad Wagner  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  CW1478
  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]