Let's assume that there is little difference between using my Linux
(RHL5.0 - Hurricane 2.3.32) and yours, and let's also assume no difference
between the Zip 100 PPA drive that I have and your Zip Plus.

I'm a newbie and just got mine working very recently, so I think I can
identify with your problem.  I did not do any of the things that you talk
about in your message - thank God it was much, much simpler than all that.
All I do is make sure that the ppa.o driver is located in a reasonable
place (in my case it's /lib/modules/2.0.32/scsi/) and then I invoke the
"insmod" command to install it as a loadable module.  That works fine for
me, then I can do the necessary partitioning and installation of a file
system on that cartridge if necessary. Then I do the mount /dev/sda4
/mnt/zip in case it's a DOS formatted cartridge, or I do mount /dev/sda1
/mnt/zip if it's a Linux native formatted cartridge.

eject works fine after un-mounting, so long as you put the correct
physical device designator on the eject command.

73 de Bob, W9DMK - [PINE 3.96 Mail Client in Red Hat Linux 5.0]