Hello,

I'm working on modifying the answering machine scripts distributed with
the voice-0.6 package; I'm giving it functionalities such as multiple
mailboxes, fax on request,
solicited information access (hotline sort of theme), and perhaps a few others.

I'd be happy to share this thing with anyone who wants it when I'm done.  I'm
fairly pleased with the development so far.  Hats of to  Niccolo Rigacci
for creating the hardware control core binary (VMCP).  It is a very apt
tool for the job, so far as I can see anyway.

Here's the deal.  I can't find a simple Voice AT command set ANYWHERE!
I'm pretty good at turning up info on the Web and Usenet by now--even sniffing
through ftp sites for files strewn in near random fashion across some
unmaintained filesystem.  But I don't know if I've had a more difficult time
trying to come up with something that I think should have been included
in the modem manual in the first place.  I'm not being critical on USR (my
modem is a new X2 56K Sportster Voice Faxmodem External); I know that those
manuals are not catering to Linux hackers in the least.  But I KNOW that the
modem is accepting these AT voice commands (Rockwell standard commands used in
Niccolo's original voice scripts)--that tells me that there are valid voice
commands here, going almost completely undocumented.  The best I've found,
which was buried in USR's FTP site, was a Tech. Ref. for high speed USR modems
with "Personal Voice Mail."  It didn't tell me anything more than the facts
that AT#CLS=8 puts the modem in voice mode, AT#VRX receives voice data,
and that AT#VTX transmits voice data.
But what about AT#VBS, AT#BDR, AT#VSD, AT#VLS, and the like?!

I have a two year old ZyXEL manual that has more information in it than
anything I've found on the Web, Usenet, ftp, etc. and it's voice commands are
different than the standard Voice AT commands.

So, the first thing that I need is an AT voice command reference that refers to
USR or Rockwell modems.  But what I'm looking for more specifically right now
is how to record one of the particular types of raw modem data .  There are
some audio conversion utilities that are distributed with mgetty+voice called
pvftools.  They convert to and from rmd (raw modem data), wav, voc, au, and
more.  They are everything I need and more (I think)
to convert wav files to raw modem data (which is what my scripts are currently
receiving and transmitting).  I'm working on the assumption that my modem is
recording voice data in an rmd format that just isn't compatible with the
pvftools.  This is an excerpt from the help output of one of the pvftools.

---begin excerpt---

 - Rockwell    2, 3 and 4 bit Rockwell ADPCM
 - US Robotics 1 and 4 (GSM and G.721 ADPCM)

---end excerpt---

So, I've gotta get my modem to be able to receive and transmit one of these
raw forms.  I am assuming that the AT command that controls that is AT#VBS,
and currently, my scripts are receiving and transmitting with AT#VBS=4.
The file that is produced is not recognized by rmdfile, which a pvftool that
looks at the file headers and reports information about the file's type, etc..

Can anyone help me?

Thanks (BIG) in advance!

--
"You cannot go on 'seeing through' things forever. The whole point

PGP Fingerprint->
1E 5F 0F 39 54 28 73 4F  27 7C 48 69 E6 0D E9 3A