All,

The suggestion to replace uugetty with the version from RHL 4.2 seems to have
worked the best.  I grabbed-up the SRPM and tried to compile it with no luck.
However, I also grabbed the pre-compiled (Intel) version and replaced just the
binary in /sbin/uugetty.  That alone fixed all the problems, so there's likely
something wrong with the code itself.  I didn't notice any out-of-ordinary
debugging info while peering into the debug dumps, just a total lack of the
word RINGBACK.

Perhaps this will be addition # 75 in the /updates directory? ;)

Thanks to all who responded.

    -Fred