I've had this problem myself. Some Compaq boxes simply cannot have linux
installed on them for some stupid reason. You have to fiddle with some of
the internal components. I called up Compaq, and the customer service
department had never heard of linux, let alone Unix. Eventually I got it
installed on my 4772. What series do you have?