Hi, this is the first time I posted a question on this list.

I'm also fairly new to Linux.  I have (succesfully) installed RH 5.0 on a
pentium 200 MHz with an ASUS motherboard, a Matrox Mystique (8 MB)
videocard, a 6.4 GB (Fireball) and a 2.0 GB hard drive.  Linux is installed
on a logical partition (hda8) - at least the root is.  I also have Win95
and NT 4.0 running on the same HD and that's the reason I chose to install
LILO on my root partition.  I discovered a trick to put LILO in the
bootlist of my NT-bootmenu in a HOWTO somewhere which requires me to do the
following:
        lilo (to be sure)
        mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos1
        dd if=/dev/hda8 of=/mnt/dos1/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
        umount /mnt/dos1
My lilo.conf looks like this:
        boot=/dev/hda
        map=/boot/map
        install=/boot/boot.b
                the 3 lines above could be a little bit wrong (I can't check
 right
now), but I'm reasonnably sure that they are not the            problem
        prompt
        linear
       timeout=50

       image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31
                label=linux
              root=/dev/hda8
              read-only

Now, you got all the information I can think off that you would need.  So I
can tell you what the problem is: when I start Linux from my NT-bootmenu
all I get is L_ (and the underscore is blinking) and then the HD-light
stays on while everthing else does nothing.  I can start Linux from the
bootdisk with the line: vmlinuz root=/dev/hda8.  Everthing works just fine
after that but I really would appreciate it if I could get the same result
from my bootmenu.

Thanks a lot!

Kris Janssens