On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Steve "Stevers!" Coile wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Bruce Tong wrote:
> [...]
> >I don't mean to be ignorant here, but if I shouldn't refer to the
> >operating system as "Linux", how should I refer to the operating system?
> >Does "the Red Hat distribution of Linux", or more simply "RedHat Linux",
> >convey the appropriate meaning?
>
> The reason I think it is important to make a distinction is because each
> of these distributions do some things differently.  When you recommend
> "Linux" to someone, they may have an entirely different experience with
> "Linux" if they choose a distribution other than the one you're familiar
> with.  If they have a bad experience, they're going to associate that
> experience with "Linux" and brand all Linux distributions as bad.
>
> Don't think it happens already?  Consider the connotation "UNIX" has.
> A lot of people just don't like "UNIX" because they had a bad experience
> with some variant of UNIX 10 years ago.  They don't care that Linux isn't
> pure UNIX.  They don't care that even the definition of UNIX has changed
> in that time.  They just don't like "UNIX".  Better that they dislike
> just Ultrix, or just Solaris, or just HP-UX than "UNIX" in general.
>
> --

Nowhere is this more apparent then in the system administration
of these various flavors or UNIX. Consider preforming the same
task on a Solaris and SunOS box. Same manufacture but different
OS baseline (SysV/BSD). While this chasm isn't as great between
the Linux distributions it does exist within the tools arean. How
a OS is packaged (tools, UI, etc.) is how it is perceived and to
some extent judged by the end user.

-- Jeff Douglass