> > Um... AmigaOS contained a window system, user interface, applets, and
> > system tools.

No it didn't. My AmigaOS system booted fine and multi-tasked nicely
without screwing around with the GUI. (Well, one of them did, the other I
used the GUI on). It was, therefore, not part of the OS, but an
application that ran on top of the OS.

> > SunOS contained a window system, user interface, applets, and system tools.

The SunOS boxes in my office don't use a GUI. Are they not using any
Operating System?

> > Considering that you couldn't even DO anything with your linux system
> > but BOOT without things other than the kernel, how can you claim that
> > it is an "Operating" system?

Because by the definition of an operating system, that is what it is. You
may find that other applications (bash, login, getty, etc.) are useful for
your purposes, but they are not strictly required.