> That's _exactly_ what we're discussing here.  I'm saying your
> definition has absolutely no basis in reality.  Please quote me
> someone who says that the OS equals the kernel and nothing more.
>
> Remember: "system"=="many programs".

Your both somewhat right. The general definition of an OS is a system that
controls and coordinates the use of hardware among the various application
programs for the various users. So it acts as a resource allocator (CPU,
memory, file storage, IO,..) and a control program to solve various
resource conflicts. There is no need for a traditional shell like
bash or DOS-shell. Although it wouldn't be very interactive or interesting.
Finally, a quote from the dinosaur book, that is Operating System
Concepts, Silberschatz,

"There is also no universally accepted definition of what is part of the OS
and what is not. A simple viewpoint is that everything a vendor ships when
you order "the operating system" should be considered...... A more common
definition is that the operating system is the one program running at all
times on the computer ( usually called the kernel )."

This is probably one of the most used texts on the subject.

-Ulrich

 * Ulrich Czekalla                                   *
 * University of Toronto                             *
 * Software Engineering       Bachelor of Commerce   *
 * [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          *