Having spent a number of years in a very bureaucratic environment
(civil service),  I can tell you the reason for "choosing" anything
from Microsoft is that the person who makes the "decision" to use
Microsoft products can never be wrong in his choice, because
"everybody" is using MS products.   Its not so much that Linux,
or even HPUX or AIX or any of the Unixes (or Timex-Sinclair,
Commodore 64, or CPM)  would be a better choice of operating
system for an application, its just that those whose job is on the
line for making the "decision" take the safe path.  Even if a MS
product turns out to not be capable (and I've seen plenty of them
that were inadequate for various jobs they were supposed to do), the
decision maker is still safe and his supervisors will spend any
amount of money trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

$.02 from fred
Fred Lenk, SysAdmin, CommPower
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.commpower.com - Check jobs posting.