Here is a interesting point.  Our Sun (yes SPARC 1) NFS sever died with a
bad HD a couple of weeks ago.  Since it was so badly admistered it would
have taken days to get back up and running.  We needed the server pronto and
we were able to convince our management that we could get a Linux NFS server
up and running in probably an hour with an older Pentium we had around.  I
rushed down to our lab and was able to get RH4.2 up and running in an hour
(even amazed me).  We FTP'd the files onto the server and edited the exports
file and we were up and running.
  This saved a major amount of time and effort but no one even noticed the
effort.  So our Linux box sits and does it's job.
  How do you convince those in charge that you saved a bit of money using
Linux to salvage a SPARC box?  Our efforts go totally ignored and eventually
they (the upper crust) want to replace this box with a NT system.  It's
total frustration when you have this type of management.

... Steve

whoever <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 07:27 PM 3/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
> I'm in a bit of a similar situation.  I work for a company which primarily
> sets up and maintains networks and PCs for medium sized businesses.  I'm
> the only employee that has actually used Linux (a couple guys programmed
> for mainframes back in the day so they have some Unix experience) and
> whenever I suggest even testing out Linux I'll get the response, "Windows
> NT does everything better than Linux" or some variation of that.  When I
> hear statements like that I will always wonder how they came to that
> conclusion but then I realized that there are two reasone for that.  The
> first is what everybody is talking about, they don't have the exposure to
> it to realize that it is a very capable operating system.  The second is
> that they are probably a bit afraid to give it a chance because they spent
> A LOT of time and money getting NT certification, attending seminars, and
> learning software.  Our customers hang on our every last word so where is
> the motivation for our company to change?  Of course, all software costs
> are passed on to our customers.
>
> Will

... steve