On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:30:14 -0500 (EST), "Robert P. J. Day"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Only in ide drive systems. If your root FS is on a SCSI drive, initrd
>> also loads the SCSI controller's driver.
>ah, so the initrd.img file is built at installation time
>based on HW detection, is it?  of course, that makes sense.

It gets rebuilt every time you install a kernel.
Try
rpm -q --scripts kernel
and you'll see what happens (new-kernel-pkg will call mkinitrd) when kernel
is installed/upgraded.
At install time or boot time, kudzu will probe hardware and if necessary
update /etc/modules.conf which is read by mkinitrd to see if any scsi module
is needed.

The rationale for ext3 module is "everything that can be a module will be a
module". While this is understandable for scsi adapters since Red Hat cannot
make a kernel with all of them in it,  it seems too overengineered for ext3;
as we've seen a lot of posts about people mounting root fs ext2 unknowingly
or failing to mount rootfs completely. ide is not modular, since ide disk
modules cause disk geometry to be seen differently causing major breakage.

If you rebuild your own kernel, the only situations you cannot do without
initrd are:
1) binary only modules from controller/hardware manufacturers
2) when a controller can be driven by 2 or more different modules and you
want to be able to use both of them and/or building them together as
built-in may cause problem (see aic7xxx aic7xxx_old).

initrd stuff will change again in the future since 2.6 will have some new
kind of startup file system.