On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Rick Johnson wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> | ah, so the initrd.img file is built at installation time
> | based on HW detection, is it?  of course, that makes sense.
> | that suggests that any more digging into that topic would
> | probably be more appropriate on the anaconda list if i were
> | so inclined.
>
> Take a peek at mkinitrd as it's simply a bash script. It basically polls
> your /etc/modules.conf for anything scsi related. It also looks for
> currently loaded modules such as ext3 related, xfs related, or the like.
> Then, based on what's loaded (or detected/specified at install), it
> builds the new initrd image using the modules specified from the kernel
> passed as the command argument.

oh, i'm familiar with mkinitrd.  i just wanted to clarify that mkinitrd
is run at install time to build the initial initrd.img file based on
your system, that's all.

after all, i have no SCSI stuff on my host, so i wasn't surprised to
find no SCSI modules in my initrd.img when i ripped it open to look
at the included modules.

rday