From: "Peter Veach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:07:25 -0600
Subject: RedHat 7.2 PPP Server and DNS issues

I have set up a RH 7.2 system.
I am trying to get it to serve up PPP connection to windows clients.

The whole thing works perfect in every way except that it will not pass
dns traffic to remote PPP connected machines. It does not matter where
the dns server is, it won't work even though I can ping the IP that the
dns server is running on. I'm guessing it is an ipchains issue???
I added a line to ipchains to enable MASQ for the dialin ip range.

Running winipcfg or ipconfig on the windows box shows the correct dns
server as specified either on the windows machine, or by the ms-dns
option on the server. I have tried 3 separate windows machines, all
have the same problem. Win95, Win98, and XP all share the same problem.

I can ftp, and open html pages by ip address only. No dns.
I can gateway through the linux box from all the windows "network
connected" machines, and dns will work. This problem only affects the
ppp connected machines.

Anybody run into this problem.
Thanks

-Pete