Chris St. Pierre said:

> Error reading block 32770 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
> in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>?

this is a fairly common error. Though it's been a while since I
encountered it. I think it is the result of failing hardware. Most likely
the disk is on it's way out. or perhaps its a bad cable, bad controller..
more likely it's a disk issue. Could also be a severly curropted filesystem.

> for that phrase yeilds *nothing* -- and I mean *nothing* -- so it appears
> that no one else in the history of the planet has ever had this problem.

not sure what you ran a search for but I ran one and got back nearly
800 hits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22Attempt+to+read+block+from+filesystem+resulted+in+short+read%22&btnG=Google+Search

> Other than that, though I have no ideas.  None. If anyone has any ideas of
> things to try, that would be great.  Thanks.

back up any data you can right away, and run the disk vendor's diagnostics
tools on it. But it sounds like the disk is going bad, typically when
bad sectors start showing up on the filesystem itself there is already
extensive damage to the disk itself. disks reserve a certain amount of
space to transparently re-map bad sectors, once this space runs out
bad sectors start showing up on the filesystem. For me this means
immediate RMA in most cases.

nate