Craig Cameron said:
> Hi all, my machine is a Pentium 2/400 running Redhat Linux 7.2, with
> minimal install(networking and DNS & Bind).  I've got the DNS configured
> and it starts and runs perfectly, but after a certain number of
> hours(sometime 2 hours, sometimes 8) it shuts down.  In the log file there
> is the following error:

is your system fully patched? looks like it is crashing, possibly being
exploited by one of the recent bugs in BIND. What version of BIND ?

is the name server setup so others on the internet can query it or is it
behind a firewall or on an internal network of some sort? Is it authoratative
for any domains?(do you host domains on it or not).

if it is a vulnerable version of bind it is possible that your system
has been compromised(perhaps several times). Even non root uid/gid and
chroot is no gaurantee of security.

the snip of logs to me looks like something is triggering a bug in bind
though, not a good sign.

nate