From: John Nichel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 7:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: apache setup questions

Couple of things....

Verify that whatever user/group that apache is running as has read
permission on the htdocs (document root) directory

Look for a line like this (somewhere around line 363) in
httpd.conf...
DirectoryIndex index.html

If your default extension for web pages is going to be .html, then
this
is fine.  Now, make sure you have a file named "index.html" in your
document root.

If you want to a directory listing to display even if you do not have
an
index file in the directory, look for this line (little past where
you
set document root, around line 317) in your httpd.conf

Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews

It may or may not contain those options, but it will start with
"Options", and it will be after a line (less comments) which looks
like
this....

<Directory "/path/to/your/document/root">

Anyway, if you want directory listings when no index file is found,
add
"Indexes" to the "Options" line.

Restart Apache

HTH