Dear everyone:

I am trying to print a simple Tex file with the Romanized pronunciations of Chinese syllables.

1) In a directory I have a file called cprimer.tex (Chinese Primer). The file has the following contents:

xi\'an z\'ai\&\&now
\bye

2) At the user prompt I type:

tex cprimer.tex

This generates the dvi file.

3) Now I want to print the dvi file to my Espson Stylus C41SX. I can print to this printer using ABIWord no problem. I have tried printing the file using the following command:

lpr cprimer.dvi

4) This is what is printed on the first line of the page:

;eX output 2003.01.05:22153&K`ymr10xianUUzai&&now`1*;3GK`ycmr10

Many of the online Howto's I have read refer to dvips. When I type this command at the command prompt, I get the response: "file not found." I find this curious because in the /usr/bin file there are perhaps 10 files related to TeX, but not dvips.

Can anyone help me?