On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 09:53:34AM +0800, Edward Dekkers wrote:
> > Another issue is that MS proxy uses NTLM (NT Login Manager) to
> > authenticate you onto an MS Proxy. With IE your login Info is sent
> > through transparently, but a Unix browser does not have this facility.
>
> No way to turn that off?

It has been a long time since I have worked with MS Proxy Server
2.0.  By default it does want to use NTLM to authenticate you,
but I also believe you can allow it to use Basic authentication
which would allow Mozilla, Netscape, etc to work with the Proxy
Server.

I think to change this on the Proxy Server you have to make the
configuration change under the default web site in IIS and check
off Basic as an authentication type.

> There's no way the original poster can use an MS proxy server on Linux?

The above steps should allow a non-MS web browser to work through
the MS Proxy Server.  One thing to keep in mind though is that
other non-web based services need the MS Proxy client to be able
to use the Proxy service for access to the Internet.  (this
includes telnet, ssh, smtp, etc.).  There is not a Proxy Client
for non-MS machines.

If the original poster must use an MS product then one could
upgrade to MS ISA Server which allows clients on the local LAN to
become NAT clients bypassing the need for a Proxy client.

I myself would replace the MS Proxy server with a Red Hat box
with IP Masquerading and Squid.  In the end it allows a much more
tuneable config.

Hope this helps!

/jft