James Pifer,

On Tuesday January 07, 2003 02:22, James Pifer wrote:
> I have a Squid(Proxy) question that hopefully can be easily answered. We
> currently run a commercial Proxy Server where we pay for each client
> that uses it. That's not a big deal except that we have a bunch of users
> (say 200-300) that only connect to a couple web sites to do their job.
> Instead of continuing to pay client licenses I think I could use Squid
> (or some other open source proxy server) as their proxy.
>
> I've looked at Squid's web site at the FAQ, and based on that, I think I
> can do it, but before taking this to my boss and proposing it I want to
> make sure.
>
> Can I put up a Redhat machine running Squid and allow all users to hit
> only a couple web sites? (I say all users because if they only go to
> these couple sites it would probably be easier to just let anyone
> connect if they want to use it as their proxy, hopefully without even
> authenticating)

Squid is an excellent program that will do exactly what you wish.

> Is there another product besides Squid I should consider?

You could also consider just using Apache for that as well. It offers only a
subset of Squid's control abilities, but may be easier to set up if you don't
need too much and you won't change settings that often.

It is easy to test both at home and see what the differences are before you
make your recommendation. Just grab an old box and throw RH on it and start
playing around with things.

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]