From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 1:52 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How do I remove a module from the kernel

Hi all

I've a host running red hat 8.0 and my kernel loads the qlogic san driver during boot
time. I don't want the kernel to load this driver during boot. So I did the following
steps
1. Did make menuconfig and unchecked the boxes related to qlogic under SCSI section.
Recompiled the kernel and loaded the new kernel. Still the kernel loaded the qla2300
module.
2. Commented out the line #alias scsi_hostadapter1 qla2300 from /etc/modules.conf.
Still the kernel loaded the module.
3. Checked the modules.dep file and deleted the qla2300.o file from the location form
where it was supposed to load
/lib/modules/kernel_ver/kernel/drivers/addon/qla2200/qla2300.o:
/lib/modules/kernel_version/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_mod.o
Still the kernel is loading the module...

So I don't know from where its picking up the driver and trying to load... Can anyone
please guide me..

Thanks
Saravanan