The CD-ROM is already connected to the secondary IDE.

Here is my drives:

Primary Master: Maxtor 3.5GB
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: CD-ROM
Secondary Slave: None

Hi also just new into the list but I also experienced the same prob on a

system because the CDrom and hard disk couldn't live together in peace.
(just like having a girlfriend :) ).

Try connecting one of the drives (e.g. CDrom) to a secondary IDE
connector.
Wich I guess you use.
This solved the probs for me I also had both

It wass an P120 on an MB with an AMI bios (FX chip).

Bye

Seth